Monday, November 11, 2013

Monday Meme: Best & Worst

Picking ideas for Strawberry Singh's Monday Meme this week, Best & Worst, was rather like looking for Miss Right – near endless searching before finally settling for Miss Right-Now. Choosing among bests and worsts is as much about notion as it is memory or mood so what you read here would likely be different if I were to take up the challenge afresh tomorrow. Enjoy the fine selection of "bug" pictures from my archive as you read along.


Meme Instructions: Copy and paste the questions and answers below, delete my answers and input your own. The twist is, the final question you need to change and make up your own best & worst that you want to share.

Best thing about Second Life: Our World is a miracle, of sorts, freeing me from constraints that hold me back in Real Life. Often after enjoying a long session in-world I'm taken aback and have to pause when I forget that I cannot actually speak. I become so used to "talking" to people that my brain has to switch gears so I can Sign again.
Worst thing about Second Life: The ever increasing need for more advanced hardware. Example: Having upgraded to Apple's Mavericks OS I was delighted to find every application I have from Web browsers to games to image editors all run faster and more smoothly. Then there is Second Life. The Lab upgraded the viewer, too, adding extra lag and even more bugs.

Best thing in your inventory: Photos and screenshots that never made it to my hard drive or to my Flickr account. Maybe not some of the pictures that people have sent me over time – who told men that they best way to introduce themselves is to send a picture of "their" RL penis? – but generally, I treasure them all and look at them often. These I don't intentionally save, but some are just so funny.
Worst thing in your inventory: Depends on what you mean by "worst." I have far too many clothes, far to many builder kits I've never used and probably never will, and oh, so many items that have been made redundant because of newer versions.


Best earliest SL memory: When I was given landscaping rights and full permission to make over some 2048 m2 brother's land. That was so much fun. I built something new nearly every day – ponds, creeks, hills, forests (small ones), rainbows, tree houses, caves, an asian palace, and more. Eventually, I was given permission to do whatever I wanted with all of our family land.
Worst earliest SL memory: More than a few Drama Llamas sauntered through the Isle of Lesbos over the years but an early one in particular got to me so badly that I chopped off my Real Life butt-length hair and ... well ... I wasn't kind to myself. I'm a better person today and a lot more wary.

Best thing you learned because of SL: My appearance on the Teen Grid was part of a program designed by a Real Life professional therapist so I could work on socialization skills and a couple phobias. Our World has helped me quite a bit and it is rare now when I have trouble leaving the house or being in small crowds.
Worst thing you learned because of SL: I'm stumped. Really stumped. This is the last item I tackled out of this whole set because I couldn't come up with anything. And I still can't. Sorry.


Best thing about blogging: Writing. Before blogging I still wrote, but in paper journals and for school work. To a writer, a well-written piece is almost like a narcotic (a mild one). Everything seems better and you want more.
Worst thing about blogging: Writers need ambition and will power, two things I sorely lack. There are days I could post 4-5 pieces and there are months when I'm lucky to post that often.

Best TV show I'm watching in Real Life: Top Gear (UK) is entertaining, informative, and very cleverly written. The "races" are the best segments as they go beyond the automobile to touch upon the local culture. One of the hosts (whom I shall not name) is clearly a jerk, but he's smart and eloquent and a joy to listen to when he's at his best.
Worst TV show I'm watching in Real Life: The Tomorrow People is simply an excuse to have actors in their mid-twenties, with perfect skin, fabulous hair, and the latest style sense stand around pretending they can emote. The writing is terrible, the blocking is awful, and the story drags. Why have I been watching it? Shows I watch with regularity are inevitably cancelled swiftly thus I'm hoping my "luck" kills this one.

My favorite TV bugs, Bugs Bunny.

3 comments:

Strawberry Singh said...

I've only seen a few episodes of Top Gear, but I admit, it's pretty damn hilarious! Thanks for always taking the time to participate in my memes. You're a great writer, I always enjoy reading your posts. <3

Orca said...

So true what you writered about blogging. There are days I literally have to restrain myself from publishing too much crappy "stories" (my record is 5/day) and to be more patient and push some stories to the next day.

And then there are times when I'm empty, tired and generally not in the mood and have no clue what to do with that blogthingy.

Right now I'm on a peachy 1 blog/day trip. This is the best. Just enough material for one daily blog entry is falling in my lap. Super.

Uccie Poultry said...

@Stawberry Thank you for your kind words. I'm pickled tink to have you as a reader.

@Orca I don't know how you have time to blog with all the boating you do. If you stopped, though, so many people would be in the dark about this great SL activity.