Sunday, May 5, 2013

L$800 of fun for L$80

Last night while my wife was AFK I checked out My Second Life (you know, the microblogging feed The Lab gives everyone for free?) and found an "advertisement," if you will, for Espresso Yourself night at The Pen, Marianne McCann's coffee house in Bay City - Mashpee (SLurl) this coming Tuesday from 6pm to 8pm SLT. Apparently, there's a No Mimes policy (see here) so I thought I'd have some fun with the rules and all it cost me was L$80 plus some time.

Immediately I bought a nice L$75 mime costume (with makeup) from Sour Pickles (SLurl) and got to work, adding some funny hair and a pair of black-and-white trainers. Interestingly enough, I have some mime animations in my Inventory. Ask no questions and I'll tell no lies.
So I went to The Pen and staged all these shots for the My SL feeds with commentary promoting the event adding individual comments to each picture. This and the previous picture are about rehearsing for my performance on Tuesday.
Then I saw the "No Mimes" fine print on the sign ... *gasp* ...
(Yes, it's all staged and no mimes were hurt in the production of this photo essay.)
If a mime cries and no one is around to hear, does it make a sound?
Of course, I mounted a protest!
Then I went inside to enjoy some delicious coffee and rethink my protest sign. I tipped the cash register L$5 and that is how my fun total was brought up to L$80 for the day. Easily L$800 worth of fun.
Resignedly, I sat down to plan a new act. Perhaps air guitar?
The "G" in G-rated sim stands for Guitar, right?
Yes, this is my kinda fun. If anyone complains that there is nothing to do in Second Life, tell them that sometimes they have to make their own fun or look a lot harder for events like those at The Pen.

Marianne plans to have Espresso Yourself every first Tuesday of the month from 6pm to 8pm SLT at The Pen (SLurl). Everyone is welcome to participate ... dance, sing, read poetry or prose, tell stories or jokes, show pictures, or just stand and stare at everyone. Just no mimes, it seems.

No comments: